Total Pageviews

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Hobgoblin Legendary Ruby Beer Review

Hobgoblin (5.2% bottle / 4.5% cask) is brewed at the Wychwood (Formerly the Eagle from 1893 - 1990) Brewery in Oxford, Hobgoblin is Wychwood Brewerys flagship drink.

It is a dark reddish / maroon ale with a off-white creamy head (which dissapears rapidly) and surprisingly looks rather unappealing.

On first sniff Hobgoblin is rather fruity and malty and caused me to look farward to my first delicious swig. The taste is a little chocolatey, you can get some wonderful roasted malty qualities as well as being fruity. There are many other mild flavours you can get from it such as hazelnut but the lovely roasted taste and dark chocolate (some have said toffee but not me) flavours that make this a great ale. This ale has great mothfeel qualities too, there is just the right blend of bitterness and is slightly lively on the tounge.

If I am being honest, I am not an 'ale man' so to speak, but was enjoying hobgoblin so much that I had drank half my pint withour making any other notes apartfrom the aroma. This is a great ale and will make me try a few more of Wychwood Brewerys other products.

I am giving Hobgoblin 4/5, it is my favourite ale (in my limited experience) and I will once again re-review this once my ale pallette is more developed.

I almost can't wait to finish typing this so that I can continue to finish the beer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment