Total Pageviews

Saturday 25 April 2009

Weihenstephan Review

Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier (5.4%) is a German Beer brewed in the Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan (god only knows how to pronounce that without irritating our Bavarian friends) brewery which claims to be the oldest brewery in the world dating back to 1040.

This beer is a golden brown cloudy beer which although not very fizzy has a very robust head. The initial aroma is YEAST YEAST YEAST however when you get past that you notice subtle friuty hints.

With a lack of fizz, this feels smooth but heavy on the pallette and can become a little sickly however as you continue to consume the beer the fruity undertones start to come through which makes this very enjoyable indeed.

In all honesty this beer has been very difficult to review indeed, on the first sip it was too yeasty and simple however by the end of the bottle I feel the need to open another. I have come to the conclusion that this is a wonderful beer, I have not been a great lover of cloudy beers (possibly because I have actually tried so few) however this has made me want to try more.

On first taste I would have given this beer a 1/5 however after the whole bottle I am very satisfied and am awarding a 4/5. A champion beer! I wish I had bought another bottle in order to offer a better review so I may come back to this one at a later date.

2 comments: